Where was I?

So do you remember that pollyanna crap I was dishing out in my last post about having a positive attitude, blah, blah, blah? Well clearly I must have been smoking some serious dope that day…

I’ve been back two weeks, yep, that’s exactly how long it took to break me. I think the title of my book is going to be “Italy’s not for Sissies!”

I will not go into details here, but did you know that 50% of divorces here are caused by intruding in-laws? Just sayin’. And no, I’m not getting a divorce, I love my husband dearly, especially when we are both 10,000 miles away from Italy.

Anyway, yesterday was also my official start date to go back to work and it was a disaster. It was a new school for me, so the first lesson was a trial-run for the kids to decide if they wanted to sign up.

I had no idea how many kids or how old they would be so I spent an hour prepping games and activities for a wide range of abilities. When I arrived, I saw an unruly group of 23 kids in a too small room with not enough desks or chairs for all of them.

I started off the class and soon discovered that the ages varied between 6 and 9. For children, this is a big gap and their levels and behaviour indicated as much. It-was-the-L-O-N-G-E-S-T hour of my life. The younger ones were sitting on top of each other and the older ones were throwing things across the room and spitting at each other…seriously!

They destroyed my portable whiteboard and hid my backpack under some shelves and it took me five minutes to find it amongst all the debris on the floor after half the class left. Then it got worse…

I went out into the parking lot to leave and the parents had double parked and blocked me in with their cars! ARGGGGGH! I had no more than 1.5 feet to maneuver my manual steering Panda six times, very carefully, so as not to knock down the scooter in front of me, which was the only one legally parked.

Since Saturday, after I got duped into an unplanned and unpleasant chat with Mama, I’ve been in survival mode. Let me just say that if I’m still here in September 2015 and nothing has changed, and I’m still winching and moaning about my life here you have my full permission to kick my ass all the way back to Canada. πŸ™‚

And for all you happy-go-lucky italophiles…what the hell are you smoking please?

IMG_4823.JPG

This entry was posted in Italian Culture, Mama and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Where was I?

1. llthayer says:

Sending you a big hug, Leah! That first day of school sounded just awful. Here any time you’d like to talk! BTW, I’m pretty sure the other 50% of divorces here are due to Italian neighbors…it ain’t for sissies, that’s for sure!

• Thanks Laura πŸ™‚ and you’re right about the other 50% too! Why can’t people just be nice to each other already? It takes a lot more energy to be an asshole, I know cuz I’ve tried, lol

2. Di says:

I’ll offer up wrie my tales from Antwerp … although yesterday I met the happiest Cuban circus guy on the tram. Needless to say we were the only happy-chatting ones on that packed tram. My mother-in-law doesn’t like me much and doesn’t know I’m married to her son … after reading your post, I’m thinking, ‘okay, just let it be’ πŸ™‚ I think life-lived-elsewhere isn’t for the fainthearted generally.

• Can you ask your Cuban friend where his Circus is, I’d like to join him πŸ˜‰
      I cannot believe that your mother-in-law doesn’t even know about your marriage, does she truly not want her son to be happy? If it is about money, that saddens me, too many people place too much importance on money and things…and yes, being an expat is not for the fainthearted for sure!

3. katecrimmins says:

Perhaps there are other places to live in Europe that would be….ummm….friendlier? It doesn’t sound like your husband is home much anyway so would it matter?

• Yes Kate, it would matter simply because we have all our money tied up in a house that we are not even living in 😦 I’m really painted into a corner here and am trying to figure out the best solution and have come up empty every time. It’s super complicated. If I took a job in another country, I would also be having to travel back here when my husband is on break and who would hire me of I wanted 4 months vacation every year?

4. BerLinda says:

I love a good rant πŸ™‚ You’ve also just summed up why I only teach adults these days! Kids are more about crowd control! Good luck with the new school and everything else! Linda.

• Thanks! I actually like some kids. It can be rewarding to see them really grasp the language and make progress and I love playing games and doing crafts. Adults just want you to explain the Grammar rules and that is so boring. The best lessons for me are the Business English groups or general conversation. I love to tap into what makes people tick here, especially the well educated students.

• BerLinda says:

The majority of my classes (not that I have many yet!) are Business English so it’s all very practical English. It’s nice to know that you’re teaching them something they can actually use in real life!
        And kids can be great fun, just a lot more energetic!! πŸ™‚

5. Dave Bellows says:

Wow, It`s like you never left your home in Italy. So Mama is still giving you the gears huh? I guess when you live in their area your open game,{ the enemy}. Let your nails grow and buy a gun, show them your the BOSS in your house hold. Change the locks and knock Eddy`s head against the wall and wake him up to what is going on. Good luck and keep your chin tucked in. Throw the first punch and tell them you have had enough. Wish you the best. Love you, xx/oo Daddy-o

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Help! I live with my Italian mother