For anyone who thinks my life is glamorous in Italy I want to make one thing quite clear, IT ISN’T. Still stuck in the dark ages, here is a list of why not:
- In order to do laundry I must first turn off the water boiler and/or the heaters.
- I have bought at least 7 umbrellas in the last 3 years.
- If I want a hot shower I must plan 2-3 hours ahead and turn the boiler on.
- If I break a leg I’m screwed because at night there is only one way to get into my apartment building and that is along a very steep staircase made of bricks.
- I have mold growing on the walls of my kitchen and am using the gas oven to heat the apartment on cold days.
- I have a friend who was treated as a second class citizen at the Immigration office because of the colour of her skin.
- I still can’t find cans of chicken noodle soup at the supermarket.
- Women still wear knee highs with a skirt.
- I can’t wear high heels anywhere without fear of breaking an ankle on the uneven streets.
- It’s been raining since Sunday!