She’s back…

Well just in case you were wondering what happened to Mama, I can assure you she has not been buried in the back yard, or under the house. Primarily because we don’t actually have a backyard and we live in an apartment.

Actually, she arrived a few days ago and the apartment has come to life again. I am also happy to announce that she has quit smoking! I have a new found Faith in God (or rather, modern science). She has been taking some pills that assist with quitting and she has not had a cigarette in 21 days! I can’t tell you how happy this makes me. It’s like living with a totally different person.

And, in true Mama style, tomorrow I have an appointment with the doctor and she has instructed me to bring some special salami to him. I’ve mentioned how weird Italians can be right? It just so happens that when Mama called to make the appointment for me she obviously had a good old chat with the doctor and told him she was hanging out in Tuscany.

You see, each region of Italy is known for a particular food or wine or actually both. For example, in Liguria, we are known for Foccaccia bread and Vermentino wine. In Tuscany it’s salami and Chianti…get it! This is why so many tourists eat their way through the country because each local insists that you try their “specialties”. They are very proud and work quite hard at maintaining these traditions.

Last summer, when I kidnapped Rosie (yes, I actually kidnapped an American tourist), I plied the poor gal with so much food and wine that it’s a small miracle she made it back to Monterosso on the train and safely back to her hotel! The thing is, life can be so wonderful here that you can’t help but want to share it with every stranger that is just passing through.

This entry was posted in Food, Italian Culture, Mama, Tourists. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to She’s back…

1. sabina says:

Hi Leah, I’m glad to read that you think that life can be wonderful here 🙂
    …and regarding the salami you are supposed to bring to the doctor, well, I must admit it seems quite strange to me too. How the hell are you going to wrap it? I just can’t imagine you, on a crowded italian bus, with such a gift in your hands..

2. Yeah! Not only is this a bit weird, the doctor happens to be my gynecologist! haha

3. sabina says:

…oh my god, darling…leave that damned salami on the bus 🙂

4. Elisa says:

Nothing wrong with bringing a little gift to your gynecologist! (If Mama’s known him for quite some time, that is. I wouldn’t waste a delicious Tuscan salame on *any* doctor.)

Wrap the salame and put it in a big totebag, though I reckon no one on the bus will bat an eye-lid, even if they do see it. Hell, they might try to steal it, actually. 😀

5. Carolynn says:

Hi. I recently started reading your blog. I love all things Italian and come from a Italiam family on my Dad’s side. I chuckle when I read some of your postings.
    By the way..You can KIDNAP me anytime and ply me with too much vino and food 🙂

• Hi Carolynn…be careful what you wish for, haha.
      If you are ever in the neighbourhood please call. Not only will I fill you up with vino and pasta, I may put you to work in the olive grove too!

6. Carolynn says:

I am definitely interested in a little olive picking.!!! I am moving to London this summer with my family and plan on many trips to Italia. Perhaps I can come there and you can come to London?! Not sure what I would fill you up with there…I guess beer 🙂

7. Beer, fish and chips and a good curry : )
    haha
    Sounds like a good plan!
    Cheers, Leah

8. Carolynn says:

You got it. I will be on a quest to find the best of all three when I get there 🙂
    Carolynn